Thursday, March 13, 2008

When did he grow up?

Aidan is 5. How did this happen? Some days I realize he is getting bigger and some days (when he is crying/whining about something) he just seems like my "little boy". Well, today... He seemed SO BIG to me.

I have a guilty pleasure... it's buying my kids clothes that say funny messages on them. Like "My mom is so cool" "My Dad Rocks" "Daddy's girl" etc... Well, I saw this shirt at Wal-mart that said "My Mom Rules" in Aidan's size and I just couldn't pass it up.

So as I do every Wednesday night, I laid out their clothes for Thursday School (our homeschool co-op). This morning Aidan was wearing his "My Mom Rules" shirt. I asked him "Do you know what your shirt says?" and he said "No" (he can't read just yet). I told him what it said. He said "Mom, I want to wear a different shirt to school today". I said "you do? Why?" He said "they will laugh at me if they read my shirt".. (I don't know who "they" are but can't a little boy love his mom???). I got him another shirt but on the inside I was crushed. (Crushed is a bit of an exaggeration). Ted explained to me how Dobson (as in James Dobson) says when little boys are 5 they make a transition from mom to dad. I see that in Aidan... He is Ted's shadow. He adores his daddy. I am all about that but I just didn't realize that I couldn't put him in the shirts that make me feel good anymore (haha).

So... I guess I'll go out and see if they have that shirt in Abel's size. HAHA!

The funny thing is Aidan wore the shirt... he just wore it under another one. He wanted to keep it on... just underneath a different shirt. He would occasionally look at me and lift his top shirt so I could see the message "My Mom Rules". HOW SWEET IS THAT!!?? He does love me... I guess it's not cool to let it show ... and that is OK with me.

3 comments:

Michael and Michelle said...

I am laughing! That's so sweet that he kept it on and would show you it through the day! What a honey!!!!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Isn't that sad when you realize that you don't have babies any more. You have plenty of time to put any shirt on Abel (Ja, Ja). Aidan is so sweet.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! cutest story!! i love that Aidan!!

Alex