Thursday, March 20, 2008

FIRST AND SECOND ER TRIP

Wednesday night Ted and I took Abel to the E.R. What an evening!!!

Praise Jesus Charlotte came over around 4pm that day just to say hi. Abel spiked a high fever of 104 at about 5:30pm and had some projectile vomiting. I just knew he had the flu. I had it, I think the kids had a touch of it... so surely it's the flu. After talking with a doctor friend, we headed out to the ER. Charlotte stayed here with our other 3 kiddos. THANK YOU CHARLOTTE.

By the time we got to Children's ER, his fever had gone up to 105. SCARY!!! We gave him Tylenol before we left and it wasn't coming down. We were put in a room and the doctor looked him over. His fever finally broke. He wanted to wait on the flu test to see if that is what it was. NO FLU. It was negative. So he ordered other tests. The first was a urine test. He had to have a cath. POOR GUY. Then blood work... which they have to take from a vessel in his arm... which is hard to get. The Doctor came back and said "I know what's wrong with your little guy. He has a Urinary Tract Infections". That is what was causing the high fever. AND the high fever caused the vomiting.
He got a shot of antibiotics and we were released. Just 4 1/2 hours there. We were home by 10:30pm.

I took him to the Dr. yesterday for our pediatrician to look him over. She gave him another shot of antibiotics (poor baby). We left there and I thought ... GOOD WE ARE DONE.

But the story continues.... We were at some friends house last night and when we came home, we could not calm Abel down. He was crying and crying. He was inconsolable. We called the hospital and they said if he was like that for 2 hours to bring him in. It had been about an hour and a half. He finally calmed down and went to sleep. So where does the second trip to the ER come in... KEEP READING.

I woke up this morning to Ted saying to me. "Tracie, now listen". I knew that something was wrong by the seriousness of his voice. He said "Children's Hospital called and said we need to bring Abel in right now because the test they ran on Wed night showed that the infection was in his blood stream". Ted left immediately with Abel and I called Debbye (THANK YOU DEBBYE). Debbye came over and I headed out to Children's.

This is what we found out. . . He had bacteria in his blood but it could be a false positive because they had such a hard time drawing blood from his little arm. The bacteria could be from his skin. The Doctor said that happens. They wanted him to come back in to be tested again and to get another shot of antibiotics.
I talked with our friend that is a Doctor and he told me that the infection from his Urinary Tract Infection could have gotten into his blood stream but it was treatable by antibiotics. They just don't want to take chances of it getting to the heart. But the Doctor at the ER said that the bacteria in his blood was different than what was in his urine. So he thinks it's a false positive unless Abel has a kidney infection or something. (meaning the bacteria came from a different infection... which is possible).
We have an appointment with an Urologist next Friday. We had it before all this happened. We were going in to talk to him about circumcision. Now, we have more to talk with him about. They will probably have to do some test on his "plumbing" to see if he has reflux of the kidneys. Which he will either grow out of or have to have a procedure to correct.

We are so thankful right now because Abel is happy, fever free and resting! He seems back to himself to us.

His lab work came back from last week and my pediatrician said it looks great! He tested negative for any kind of disease and she said he looks healthy. We just have to see what is wrong with his "plumbing". It is not common for a baby to have a UTI. It could be because he is not circumcised. We'll find out. Please pray for Abel and for us to find out what caused it. We have a sweet peace that only could be from the Lord!

Thanks for reading... that was one long update!

13 comments:

The Redman's said...

OH - Tracie- I'm so sorry that you had to go back to the ER!! Little Abel is definitely in my prayers!!

Love, Suzi

Michael and Michelle said...

Oh my Tracie..... I am freaking out! When you read a blog for months and months you feel like you know the family and care about them. I will be praying for your whole family. I sure hope sweet Abel gets better. Keep us posted.
Michelle

The Gresham Clan said...

Oh my, Tracie - I am SO sorry. How incredibly scary. You are all in our prayers and especially Abel as his body works so hard to fight off these infections. I agree with what Michelle said, after reading people's blogs for such a long time, you feel like you know them. Hope you are able to get some rest and PRAISE GOD for his peace!

Kristin

B7 said...

Oh friend -- my heart aches for you all & precious Abel. I will be praying for the urologist to have wisdom & great insight into how to help. Love you friend!!

Nicholas said...

Oh Tracie, I'm so sorry to hear that little Abel and you guys have had this terrible scare. My son fell VERY ill when he was three months old and was hospitalized for over a week, they had a terrible time diagnosing him but thankfully they did just in time. It's frightening to go through espcially since he is new to your little family - prayers to you all.

emily said...

Oh sweet baby! No wonder I didn't hear back from you. Praying you all get some rest and have a blessed Easter.

Braedensmommy said...

Hi, Tracie.
I am so sorry you had to go through this. I will tell you we had a few scary nights with Braeden when he first came home. Hang in there. Abel will be o.k. Braeden is healthy as can be now, but I can remember back to those days!
God bless!
Megan

Lori said...

I am so sorry, that kind of stuff is so scary when they are so little. Your family is in my prayers!

Jocelyn said...

Poor little guy..I'll be thinking of you guys!!

Tara said...

Oh Tracie! Poor little Abel! We are sending up lots and lots of prayers that all goes well on Friday!!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry and we will be praying for Abel.

Richardsons of HV said...

How scary for y'all!!! We will be praying! Can you believe what changes have happen over the past 10 years? This summer, we will have known y'all for 10 years! Crazy!!!

Lisa S said...

I have a freind from europe and in her country they dont circumsize....well her son kept getting infections so at 6 they circumsized him....u may want to do this now before hw can remember.....it was soooo hard for him