My mom was a BEAUTIFUL woman... both inside and out. She laughed a lot! I remember in her year book from high school it said, "Her every word begins a laugh". SO TRUE. She and I were the best of friends. She loved to shop and she loved to give gifts. She was all about fashion and to a fault bought me WAY TOO MUCH clothes. (I loved it though). My mom was all about movies. She could quote who won what academy award for what movie. She was on top of her entertainment news. I could always make her laugh by quoting her favorite lines from Forrest Gump. She was an extrovert but she enjoyed time alone. She worked for the City of Port Arthur for 20-something years. Her and my dad were married for 32 years. They adopted my brother when she was 29 and they had me when she was 31.
Honestly, one of the things that grieves me most is that the years she was on this earth, I was all about "me" and didn't take time to ask her every question I wish I could now ask. If I could sit with her today, I would ask her every question under the sun. My mom was all about me when she was on this earth. We spent HOURS talking. She could calm my heart, heal my hurts, and make me laugh ... but most of all I could make her laugh and I think she was my number one fan.
Born on December 14, 1943, my mom (Mary Kay) was born to Josephine and Frank Drago. She was the baby of the family (she had two older brothers) and if I remember correctly, my grandmother was about 39 or 40 when she had my mom. My mom grew up in Port Arthur, Texas (where I too grew up). She was a full blooded Italian woman who was educated in Catholic school all her life. My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 54. My dad passed away when my mom was 57 and right after he passed away, she was diagnosed with cancer. She had small cell carcinoma (lungs). We went through 9 months of treatment and 9 months of remission. All the while, she was fading because of Alzheimers. We were losing her in every way. She looked different, she acted different, she was a completely different person. In October of 2002, the cancer moved to her brain and in November, my precious mom, my best friend, my number one fan (tied now with Ted and my kids) left this earth. She died 18 months to the day after my dad. Two days after she died, our son Aidan was born. A gift of joy in the midst of our sorrow.
I had no idea how much more I would grieve over the years to come after her death. There are so many things I long for from her. Most of all, just to know her. To see her with my kids. To ask her what I was like at this age or that age. To hear her voice. To touch her skin. To go to the mall with her :-) I honestly could go on and on but it's in my heart and I trust the Lord to heal my heart... one stitch at a time.
I rejoice because my mom knew Jesus before her death. She is now with Him. No more pain, no more suffering. And joined once again with my dad. She is praising HIM before the throne crying "Holy Holy Holy is the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY... who was and is and is to come!"
I do long for the day that I will say those words with her... but for now... to live is Christ! and for her to die was gain... for she is with her maker, her savior... with her mind in tact and her body healed. TO GOD BE THE GLORY. This life we live is but a breath compared to Eternity... MAY I LIVE WITH MY EYES OFF OF THE TEMPORAL... because it is truly fading away!

My mom at our wedding. Jan 6, 1996

Riding the go-cart with my brother. My guess is that this is in the late 80's.

My mom standing at the kitchen sink. I lived in the same house from the day I was born until the day I married.

My parents... Mom is sporting the highlights! She often was told she looked like Liza Monellie (not sure if I spelled that right)

My mom played the bugel. Which is so funny to me. She was voted Colleen of the year and this picture appeared in her year book.

My mom when she was younger


I love these old pictures of her. I was told ALL THE TIME when I was young how much I looked like her.
What a precious precious lady. I love her so very much!
Fun Facts about Mary Kay:
1. She called Wal-Mart... Wal-Marts
2. She called Tylenol... Telenol
3. She watched the Young and the Restless for YEARS! My cousin Dana and I would watch her as she watched the show because she would make the BEST expressions!
4. Her and I laughed so hard one time during Mass that my dad got mad and walked out... we were still in Mass laughing... not good. I am sure the priest was not happy with us.
5. While my mom was sick she watched the Best of Johnny Carson A TON OF TIMES. I loved to hear her laugh so I would put it on just to hear her giggle.
6. She loved to shop... LOVED TO SHOP. I think we did a lot of retail therapy in life.
7. She loved to decorate the house.
8. She always gave things to me... for example... I would ask to borrow her lipstick and she would say "do you like it? you can have it" SO GIVING!
9. She loved to drink Sprite
10. She loved BBQ Crab (I do too but I haven't had it since my last trip to Sartins with my mom after my dad's death). It was my 25th birthday. May 2001.
11. She had the best fingernails.
I will add more as I think of them and have time... This has been such a precious exercise for me and thank you to all that commented about her. What a gift to me and my children!
17 comments:
Trac... what AWESOME pictures. I love the old ones too. She sounds great!
I miss Mary Kay more than I can say as well. God allowed me the blessing of having my heart knit with hers as she traveled the long difficult road that last 18 months and I am forever changed. She is a beautiful woman, and I can't wait to see her again in glory and hear that sweet laugh.
I also want to say how amazing you are Tracie. Your strength, courage, and growth through all of this is beautiful, humbling, and encouraging all at the same time. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mary Kay is with Jesus right now proud of the woman you have become. I love you.
I had never seen the older pictures of your mom - they were great!
I dearly loved Mary Kay Drago Guidry! She was not only my aunt, but was my God-mother,as well. Aunt Mary Kay was SOOOOOOO much fun! I loved spending time with her because we would laugh about everything - she was the eternal optimist who could find the humor in every situation. As I was growing up, people would say I was so much like her...what a compliment!
Family was number one with her! She adored her parents, husband, children, brothers, nieces, nephews, and cousins. She was at every family party, dance recital, birthday party, graduation, baptism, First Communion, wedding, etc. (I'm sure you get the picture). Also, nobody could make potato salad better than Aunt Mary Kay! She was always in charge of making it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, and I could never get enough. :)
This world is definitely a better place because of my aunt. I wish everyone could have known this great, great lady! I am so proud to have had her in my life!
Lisa Drago Solis
traci
thanks for letting me share my memories of your mom with you.
I rememer how she "glowed" at your wedding! She was so proud of you. She was such a fun person. Always the first to laugh out loud.She was always comfortable in her own skin. She was always ready to pitch in at family outings. Crawfish boils, gumbo, briskets were her favorites.
And her smile was always so warm and it would convey the message that she truly excepted you as you were. So non judgemental. I see her strength in you.. She wasnt with us long enough, and i regret not taking time to share more of her life. But she will always be in our hearts and her legacy lives on in you and your precious children. I too love you traci
Nanny Beck
Oh Friend...I miss her and I never had the privilege to meet her. What I know of her I see in glimpses of each of the precious people in your family. I can't wait to give her a big hug in heaven and join with her in singing HOLY HOLY is the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY. Thank you for every word you shared...for allowing God to bring beauty from ashes, joy from sorrow. You are a treasure, Tracie!! Love you!!
Your mom and dad A/K/A Mr. & Mrs. Guidry or the title they were most proud of Tracie and Chad’s MOM & DAD. They influenced me in so many ways.
I remember all the great sleepovers, going to the mall, walking to the movies, hanging out at your house in the summer, it never failed that ever summer your parents would buy you a new typing game for your computer… ( it had to be an educational game) you and Lauri were the only friends of mine that had computers back then… do you remember that…
I can remember being at your house sitting at the kitchen table, taking turns playing that typing game… I was so bad at that game ... I have to admit I learned how to type that summer & I never managed to beat your high score!
Back then I just thought your parents were the coolest.. You and Chad always had the neatest THINGS… From Computers, Snack FOODS, video games, Jam Box (cassette players), Hair SPRAY, to … Makeup…. You could entertain anyone and your parents welcomed your teenage guest!
You mom made sure that you and Chad were LOVED and always LEARNING!!!
Now that I have James (4) and John (2)… I know that you parents were not just the coolest. They were pretty SMART… I guess they really did know it all…..
They would allow you and Chad to have all of these great things to KEEP you and your lets say “rambunctious friends” HOME, SAFE, and out of trouble… in the comforts of their HOME!
Your house was my HOME away from home… I knew I was always welcomed!
You were “THE friend” whose parents always allowed you to “Bring a Friend”!
From shopping in Baytown, to countless trips to Casa’Ole, and Astroworld… I was glad that your parents allowed me to tag along a time or two or three….
And… let’s not forget our Cheerleading DAYS…
When I look back at all the fun times, silly girl stuff, tryouts, CAMP, drama ..
I thank GOD, that we lived though it… Boy did GOD spend a lot of his time in Port Arthur during 1989-1993…….. I bet he could not wait for all of us to Graduate and start growing up…
I also remember your blind dog… (if I am not mistaken DEAF too?)
It was always escaping from the back yard… I thought that dog was MacGyver.. I am really showing my age…
I can remember countless searches for the great HOUDINI… Your mom would never stop searching until she found that DOG… she did not want her baby girl to be SAD! Texas did not have their very own EquiSearch Team back then but if we would have, I know that your mom would have called them to find your DOG!
I have one more story… do you remember my first YOB.. “like my mother Ms. G said” YOB instead of JOB”…. It was at Casa’Ole.. I started during the Christmas holidays and there was a freeze that year…. And no one had warm water but YOU and Casa Ole on Twin City…
I stayed the night at your house and your mom dropped me off at work…. She even let me wear some of her knee high TAN Hose because I did not have any …. I cannot believe I REMEMBER all of this stuff. I had to wear that Mexican Outfit …. with those awful black orthopedic looking shoes… I can remember getting dressed … and I though that you and your mom were going to peee on yourselves from laughter…. And then I had to ask your mom for those TAN hose… we were all just hysterical…
Anyhow, that was my first and last day on the YOB at Casa Ole… I never even got a paycheck… because I had to pay for the MEXICAN Outfit and awful black orthopedic looking shoes…
My Lesson that day was to STAY AWAY FROM THE FOOD industry… and restaurants that want employees to dress up …..
Your parents taught you so many valuable lessons in life.. and those lessons will be passed down through your children and each person that meets you. When I look through the pictures of you, your mom and your children … one thing remains constant… and that is the Mary Kay SMILE… it is a gift that only she could have given you and your kids…. That SMILE makes things happen, It makes people change, it makes people feel good inside, it has away of comforting your soul!
I wanted to share a poem that was read at my sisters funeral… she also had one of those contagious beautiful SMILES that could light up the TEXAS SKY!
It was read during a balloon releases at the funeral… I changed it up for your mom….
Sending Balloons to Heaven:
Today is a special day for our Nana! (I was not sure what your kidos’ called her)
She has began her amazing adventure in Heaven five years ago TODAY.
We miss her so much but God had much more enjoyable things planned for her than always entertaining us.
We bet she is up there playing with Angels and teaching them ways to have more fun.
We know that Our Nana will remain in our hearts because God blessed our family with unbreakable love that we hold so true.
So today NANA we are sending you these beautiful balloons, each sent with a wish or two.
They will soar to the heavens and fill it with wishes that we made just for you.
Enjoy, your journey and every once in a while look back--you will see us sharing the love, compassion, and fun that you taught us how to have!
Sending you love and kisses, too.
We love you, NANA …God bless you!
I hope that some of my memories make you smile and laugh a little today. I love you!
LTL (Love This Life)
Sonia
Tracie,
This is when God wanted me to "publish a comment to you"! All of the qualities that you wrote that you love so much about your mom are the qualities I have seen in you! You are about God and your family, laughter and joy, and making others feel special and loved! I am blessed to know you! You have given me hope that God will bless us richly here in Knoxville! Thank you for being my friend! Patti
What a wonderful discripition of your mom and how very accurate. There are a few things that you didn't mention...Nobody enjoyed a cup of coffee and great conversation more than Mary Kay. When we were little and it was time to go home, the trick was to get our parents inside because with in minutes coffee was brewing and the conversation was flowing, which meant we had 2 hours of extra playing time!!! We thought we were being sneaky but the reality was that our parents really enjoyed being around each other. My parents and I talk about Mary Kay and Lee often and how much they miss them.
Another thing that I remember is how much she loved Angel, her poodle. That was one of the most spoiled dogs...she always had the best nail polish! I guess that was part of the fashionista in Mary Kay.
And Tracie, I want you to know that although I can understand your desire to ask her all kinds of questions about "who she was"...all she would have said is that you and Chad were her world. Her life was completed by the two of you. She loved ya'll so much and ya'll were her world.
She was a wonderful mother to you and Chad and to each of your friends. I was so lucky to be able to spend so much of my childhood in your parents home!
~Melanie Moore
Traci,
Your mom was one of the sweetest ladies I've known. She was funny, full of smiles and so kind. She made your house so warm with her yummy spaghetti and Coca Cola collection. My best memory was when we went to New Orleans for a dance convention. Remember when I was doubled over with stomach cramps from eating so much fried shrimp? Your mom and dad and my mom, you and I were laughing uncontrollably in the middle of the French Quarter? That was a great trip, but would not have been as fun without your mom there. She was awesome and I'm sorry your time with her was short. But, I can assure you that her beauty and kindness is reflected in you.
What a beautiful tribute to your mama! She sounds like she was an incredible woman with such a huge heart. She would be so proud of you and your sweet family. I love all the pictures.
Hi Tracie, I cannot imagine where you are right now with 5 years since your Mom's death in your bag. It has been almost six very long months for me since my mother passed and each day is a struggle.
Your mom was a beautiful woman, full of smiles and comforting advice. I can't remember her without her lipstick. She always had that lipstick on, shiny, shiny. How did she do that?
She always made me feel welcomed and loved while in your home. I can remember the countless cheerleader practices there, trying to learn those crazy dances (I never quite caught on) with the boombox blaring in the background. She would just walk in nod and laugh. She made runs to Jack in the Crack for tacos and to the mall for cookie cake. Then after high school, she always asked how my mom was doing (diagnosed with cancer in 1992). My mother was also so very distraught to hear of her death, but I know they are together now looking down on us girls. "Quit that crying," Peg would say. And, "It's okay to cry girls," MK would say. So very different, but the same. Two sweet moms. It is hard wanting to rewind to ask questions and for me, just wanting to smell my mom. I actually brought her perfume home with me after she passed so I could smell "her" when I wanted. Just know that you are so much a part of her and I know she is so very proud of "her Tracie," that you are keeping her memory alive. Your kids will grow up "knowing" her. Tracie, thank you for sharing your emotions and photos. It takes a strong woman to take care of a parent.
:)Those pictures are just fantastic...you do look just like her. I laughed out loud this morning looking at them! Talk to you soon~Love, Lauri
Precious Friend-
What a blessing it is to see a glimpse into your life by what you and your friends have written about your Mom. I feel so honored to "peek" into your life with your Mom! I am sure there is no woman who has impacted you more than your cherished mother.
This BLOG will speak to your heart on your hurting days. It will also make your smile brighter as you see all of the lives impacted by this special woman. And, yes, she does look like Liza Manelli! Amazing!
I loved reading what your friends wrote - can't wait to hear about yoru blind/deaf dog, and hunt for Houdini??!!
You mother would be so proud of the woman you have become and are still becoming! You are a beautiful reflection of Christ's love! Your laughter is contagious to those around you! Your children are blessed with an incredible mother who loves and adores them! Ted - as he wrote - thinks you are AMAZING! And, my life has been truly blessed with your friendship as you have helped me to process and grow through my own loss.
Now, I have something important to do - I am going to look for a recipe for BBQ Crab and have your family over for dinner!
I am so thankful you are seeing the blue skies above you! Your skies are blue again!
You are truly a blessing Tracie! I love you!
Traci, really sweet post. She was a beauty, just like cute little you!
What a great person Mary Kay was! She was also very fun to be around. I can think of so many funny things that happened while spending time at my Aunt Mary Kay and Uncle Lee's house.
She used to always call me "Dane."
She made the best green salad and potato salad ever! We always had it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I even remember that she made her salad in a big yellow Tupperware bowl. Every Christmas Eve, Chad and Tracie would beg her to open 1 present and she would say NO!! Then after continuous begging, she would give in and say "just one." Before you knew it, all of their presents were opened and we would all just laugh!! Many times, I went to Asroworld with my cousins and Aunt Mary Kay decided to get on a ride with us called the "Spider." She did alot of screaming and had a few comments about the ride as we were spinning around!! She was always game for anything. Those were the days! I have so many wonderful memories of my aunt. She was a wonderful person and I am thankful for all the great times we shared.
Dana Drago Gonzales
Wow!! As I was reading your posting, Tracie, about your precious mom, it brought back so many joyful moments I shared with you and your mom as we were growing up. I can actually still hear her laughter as I think about all the times we just sat around and ate Jack-in-the-Box tacos that your mom would go get for us (always ordering mine without the sauce) and just talk and crack up with your mom. If she wasn't laughing at us, we were laughing at her.
Mary Kay had such a sense of humor, in case any of you were wondering where Tracie's sense of humor came from. Definitely a part of Mary Kay that still carries on through you, Tracie!! :)
Something else that I see in you, Tracie, that has also continued to carry down from your mom is the desire to know more about others and their story. I've always admired your interest in others, and that's the way I remember your mom. She always had a desire to listen and get to know a person.
I remember the exact spot your mom would always sit on the couch and how she would always have something to munch on. We never went hungry at your house. :)
I can definitely say "Amen" to your comments about your mom being a shopping fanatic. She did LOVE to shop!! If you didn't know Tracie growing up, she was always the one to go to if you needed to borrow that perfect going out outfit! Mary Kay always kept the fashion well stocked around there.
Well, I could go on and on, but I just want all of you who didn't have the honor and privilege of knowing Tracie's mom, Mary Kay, to know that she was a very beautiful woman! If I had to chose only one word to describe her, it would be "JOY." She was so much fun!! I do want you all to know that even if you never had the opportunity to meet Mary Kay, when you are around Tracie for even the shortest of time, you have experienced a good bit of the kind of person Mary Kay was. Just being around Tracie will give you a good taste of the precious woman Mary Kay was.
Tracie, I know your mom is so proud of the woman, wife, mother, friend, child of God you are! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your life!
Much love,
Jennifer Yarnold
Trace,
I agree with Ted wholeheartedly! The Lord has used this VERY difficult road in so many ways. He has made you so strong, so courageous, and that is so beautiful and encouraging! I've listened to your sorrow and grief (because that was all I could do!) and watching you persevere has ministered to me countless times.
Your mom was precious. My most distinct memory of her is how she would always come in your room when we got there and plop down on your bed to talk with us. She would get all comfortable and just enjoy the conversation. Whether you were fixing your hair or your makeup, or trying to pick out an outfit for something, she'd just sit with me on your bed and we'd all just chit-chat FOREVER!! I loved that. She reminded me so much of my mother! I think the greatest mothers (God, help me become this!!!) are the ones who eventually become their chidlrens' best friend! Of course after the Lord and spouses and children... you know what I mean!! :) And she did just that!
And her laugh!!! It was so contagious. It always lit up your face...and mine!
I also remember how hilariously frustrated she'd get with your dad's quirkiness. She was probably the funniest MAD person I've ever known!! :) I think she actually HUFFED and PUFFED a time or two! :)
I praise God for His mercy in drawing her to Him and can't wait to hug her neck when I see her in glory!
I love you, friend,
Melissa Lemoine
Tracie, Your blog is awesome! I am amazed at your dedication to write your heart down for others to read. What a blessing you are. Reading about your family, & this one about your Mom, is so touching. Those you write about are precious, but the way you write about them is just as precious. You relate so beautifully with those the Lord has brought into your life. You do it as an artist and it is delightful to experience. Your Mom's and Jesus' influence in your life has resulted in you being a wonderful wife & mother, & treasure for a friend. Your sweet spirit, joy for life, genuine care, authentic relating, & love for Jesus & His truth is water that causes a tree of affection to grow for you in my heart and in the heart of everyone I know that knows you. I love you and am very proud of you. Thank you for sharing your life with us all. Mack
Post a Comment